The Royal Navy at HMS Pembroke and Royal Visits
HMS Pembroke, the Royal Naval Barracks at Chatham opened in 1903 and over the course of the next 80 years witnessed visits from many members of the Royal Family. One very notable visit took place in 1948, when King George VI made a high profile visit to the Medway Towns.
H.M. King George VI had earlier made a 'secret' wartime morale boosting visit to naval personnel in the Medway Towns in April 1942. Due to wartime security restrictions, the King's visit was only publicized in the national press after it had occurred - much to the annoyance of the local press, who were not informed of his visit until half an hour before it happened. The image above shows His Majesty, accompanied by Commodore Nicholson, RN, undertaking an inspection of naval ratings on the Parade Ground of HMS Pembroke during his secret visit.
Image © Chatham Dockyard Historical Society